Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sharing Recipe Sunday



Ok, so with the poor economy, gas prices going up and down, we like many others are watching our budget. I thought I would start sharing new recipes on Sunday! Thought it would be fun and maybe we'd all get some new recipes. I've installed a Mr. Linky for you to link your favorite on your site! We'll try it today and see how it goes!

One of my favorite things is a good cup of coffee. Starbucks Mocha to be exact. But at $4 plus tax a cup that equals almost
$1500 a year. I don't know about you but I'd rather have something else. So when I stumbled on to this little recipe you can imagine my excitement. It's so yummy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Mocha-Spiced Coffee
Use a high-quality unflavored coffee, such as French Roast. ( I used Folgers and it was just as good)

1/2 cup ground coffee ( I actually make it stronger and use 1 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
5 cups of water
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup light chocolate syrup (such as Hershey's, which is also available in sugar free)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (optional)

1. Place the first 3 ingredients in a coffee filter or filter basket of a coffee maker. Add 5 cups of water to the coffeemaker, and brew according to the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Combine fat-free milk, brown sugar and chocolate syrup in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Stir in brewed coffee and vanilla extract. Serve with whipped cream if desired. (My mother in-law bought me a wonderful thing last year at Christmas a frother! So, not only is it low fat, but I can make foam for the top sprinkle cinnamon and sugar and there you go I save the empty whip cream calories for something else!)

I made extra last week and Chase and I both started out the week with a fantastic mocha. I'm not sure how much it cost but I know it was cheaper than $4 plus tax! Every penny saved is one more penny we have!