Thursday, September 10, 2009

Over coming fear

Fear. We all have them. I've overcome a few in my life of 34 years. After I had Max I was afraid of heights. Terrified. I even climbed to the top of a slide at the fair. You know the ones that you give the guy the ticket and you slide down on a carpet. Seriously, I climbed up there all the way to the top and froze. Madeline was looking at me like mom, it's just a slide. And the carni guy said the exact same thing as he pushed me down the slide screaming. That fear was gone! Then when we went to the Dominican Republic we Zip-lined over the jungle! It was awesome! I guess I thought I conquered all those fears I had. Until, this summer. I remembered I hadn't solved all my problems.

Locusts. I'm so terrified of them. I have really natural curly hair. When I was in high school I had a locust get caught in my hair. Not just on the side or the top. That screaming booger was literally in the back of my hair. And the more we tried to pull it out the louder it screamed. (Give me a moment I have to collect myself)............................................................................................
Still freaking out here...................................................................................................................................................................

Ok, i'm back. This last few weeks has been quite the challenge. Our house backs up to a huge yard, creek and trees and they live in trees after they crawl out of the ground to Molt. Well, my little princess is obsessed with finding their shells. She even calls them her little locies. A pet name for those nasty little creatures. She takes the shells and puts them on her shirt. They have contests at school to see who can find the most at lunch and recess. So, then in the evenings provided it isn't raining we go out in the backyard to hunt for more shells. Max is even involved. This last weekend while we were on our little hunt we stumbled on a real taste of nature. Looking at these still makes me a little freaked out!




Photobucket

Photobucket


Now, don't get to excited. That's what a zoom lens is for. I still don't like them or their annoying scream!

These can also be found on National Geographics website. Click on the photo to view in full size! You can also vote on my photos. hint hint hint...

No comments: