Monday, December 28, 2009

Plea Bargain

Disclaimer:******* first off let me say I'm not writing this post to come off better than anyone else. I am very frustrated, hurt and annoyed. If you or someone you love has ever had a similar situation please know this isn't against you or them. We all make our own beds and we have to live with the decision's we make. **************************


Two weeks ago my family went to court in the hearing for my cousin's death. (you may remember this post) We learned that the driver of the car's maximum sentence is 14 years. 14 years is the price he has to pay for taking her away from our family. Taking her out of this picture forever. Forever to me doesn't equal 14 years. This is a person who had a previous DUI and yet in the state of KS you seriously get a slap on the wrist. In my opinion taking a class, paying court costs, and going to court isn't enough. What about the fact that while that person was drinking and got behind the wheel he put YOU, Me, and all of our families in harms way? Doesn't that matter? He changed my family forever. Forever is a very long time. It's time we'll never get back. Brayden paid the ultimate price for someone else's decision. I'm not saying I've never had a drink and then got behind the wheel of a car. I am in no way perfect. I think all of us have probably done it at one time or another. But, I challenge you all this year Don't do it. It's not worth it. My life is more important then you getting a buzz. And, so is yours. In the picture above I have lost 3 family members. 1 from colon cancer 3 years ago. Dustin and Brayden both this year due to alcohol related accidents. Don't be the next one in your family picture that's missing. This was our last family picture together. Photobucket
Brayden and Aunt Laura at Graduation
Photobucket
There are a LOT of people out there blaming my Aunt and Uncle for the things that have happened. Believe me this isn't the family picture they want posted. Dustin & Brayden shouldn't be missing. I am so thankful to have had Dustin and Brayden as members of our family and they will forever be in our hearts. Please this holiday season make the right choice.
Photobucket
Don't let someone take your sunshine.
Wear your seatbelt and don't drink and drive. We have a very long road ahead of us in the healing process. There will be anger, love and more frustration to come some of which may come out here. Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: